Sunday, January 23, 2011

Movie time...

PBS is on a roll! I have not watched this much television in eons! Friday night movies on NJN have been fairly dodgy lately - Lassie (the barking upsets Millie, and I don't like dogs) and John Wayne (way too many comments to make here...). But... there was this mysterious sounding thing listed for Friday - Carnival of Souls. As soon as it started we knew we were in B-movie territory. A spectacular scare-fest from 1962 in glorious black and white. The dream/sub-conscious sequences were tinted green or blue a la Dr. Caligari and filmed in a cut edit kind of way that was just amazing. Upon research, I find the whole thing was done for only $30,000! Hubby and I said that if we had not read the credits in the beginning we could have sworn it was a George Romero film, it was so similar in feel to The Night of the Living Dead. Just an absolute classic.

Then, last night was my first Joan Crawford movie - Rain from the early 1930's. There's seediness and religion and missionary tension. And none of it required nudity or anything else gratuitous. The drama was all in the dialogue, filming and acting. And what a job Crawford did! And I love the history on the film you get from the PBS host - Neal Gabler - prior and after the film. And next week - Made for Each Other with Jimmy Stewart! Oh joy!

Completed a few more submissions last night. So much work and the wrist is hurting. Since it is soooo cold out, I plan on doing the shoot I have had in my head for some time.... Lights, backdrop and some goodies... Woke me up this morning just thinking about it!

No comments: