Monday, August 23, 2010

Priorities...

Noticing a bunch of hullabaloo on the internet and the news about teachers conversing with students on the internet. hmmm......

Some thoughts:
  • Many of us do lead lives that are positive and the classroom is not always the place to discuss non-subject things. Just not enough time. You will never find a picture of me at a wild party drunk or drugged out of my mind because I DO NOT DO THAT!!!! And perhaps it is good for a student to know that about a teacher... I tend to be of the practice what you preach way of thinking when it comes to this.
  • Perhaps the reason for a lack of respect for teachers is the fact that many people - media, politicians, etc. - forget that teachers are people who are members of their community, part of a family, have friends, i.e. real people with real lives. We are not money grubbing thieves who steal from the tax-payers and crawl into a closet in our classrooms at the end of the day, to re-emerge in the morning. Knowing a little bit about us - note: a little, not everything - may break down some barriers.
  • I like my former students to know some things about me that can enlighten them. For instance: I travel (not to the shore and Florida!), I read, I volunteer, I have friends of all genders, races, ages, and sexual orientations.
  • I also do my own art out of work and like them to see it. I am a firm believer that you have to love and practice what you teach. That is most certainly conveyed to the students and helps them see the worth of what you are teaching.
  • Keeping in touch can help in keeping an eye on those who need watching. I don't mean that in a Big Brother kind of way. But, just because the vulnerable student graduated, does not mean he is ok. He/she might benefit from knowing that there are still people who care about him/her.

A lot of the stuff I have read on this topic blames the teachers for being immature or trying to be buddies with students. One thing NEVER mentioned is that teachers did not cross a line of professionalism by becoming involved in students' lives first. When people started relying on the school system to raise the children, teach them the life lessons they were neglecting, making sure they were fed, watching for signs of depression and drug/alcohol abuse, and holding the educators legally liable for all the above, something in the game changed. Teachers no longer were merely responsible for passing on one's knowledge in a subject area. We were expected to adjust our relationships to the students in such a way that we could also be surrogate guardians. The good teachers are looked up to, not as buddies. But sometimes students confuse the two. And of course, some teachers don't know the difference. But they are not the majority.

I certainly do not mind looking out for students - especially since some at-home situations can't be blamed on a parent or child - but I don't like it when teachers who care about kids are made out to look bad. These relationships are just so complicated sometimes. In many cases, it helps to keep in touch. The students understand that we do genuinely care about them and their time with us is that much more meaningful. They know they will not be forgotten once July 1 comes around. Perhaps what needs to be done is some addressing regarding how to place parameters on keeping in touch. As for me, you will not find a picture of me with a beer - thought, note, I am legally allowed to have a drink - I do not partake in illegal activities that will find their way onto the internet, and I dump the "friends" whose posts are offensive. If I don't want former students seeing them, odds are it's not a person I really want to be friends with anyway...

End of rant... now if only the sun would come out...

No comments: