Thursday, September 23, 2010

SUCCESS!!!!!

I have been trying for two years to make a large negative from a 35mm on ortho lith film. After countless experiments, I finally managed to get a good one!!!

At station 11, I put in a good density Kodak TX400 negative from London. After two tests, I did a third at an f-stop of 8, no filter, 20 seconds. No safelight on at the station. Developed in the A/B solution for about 3 minutes. At the last 10-20 seconds, the image appeared like magic! Stop bath and then fixer.... and total excitement!!! I then took the fully fixed film out to wash, and I wanted to do cartwheels but merely squealed with excitement inside!!!! A beautiful, high value, detailed positive. Then I can make a negative or just contact print from this. The best part, it is 8"x10"!!! That means Photo II can make - get ready - large cyanotypes! Completely in the darkroom without needing to use the printer and we save ink by using chemistry and film that is probably nearly as old as me!!! well, not that old...

So, while some of the supplies here may be old, like us teachers, they are young at heart and can still get the job done! I feel like treating myself to a good old cappuccino!!!

No comments: