Sunday, November 19, 2023

Parent Teacher Conferences

 Last Thursday was my 25th first marking period parent/teacher conference night.  I know a lot of teachers cannot stand these things.  It is a late night.  We always have a full day of school the next day.  When it is right before a holiday, it is even harder because we are wiped out and the kids are wired.

I happen to enjoy the conferences.  I like meeting with the kids' representatives.  On recent occasions, I have even gotten to meet with the siblings of students when they step in for a working parent, and those siblings end up being former students.  Even when I have not-so-great reports on the students, it is still a nice time.  Some years I have such a good time I wish I could offer coffee, tea, and pastries and just call it a social gathering.  Most years, I have been the last one out of the parking lot because the last parent and I end up chatting for a while.

Many years, three of us guess how many teachers will not be there and which one of us will get the most visits.  Well, under the new administration, it's anyone's guess what teachers are missing and there is rarely a greeting to start the night.  So there goes part one of our game.  As far as the second part, I lost.  I only had five representatives come see me.  

Since it was such a quiet night, I spent the down time looking through photo books for samples to show two of my students seeking reassurance or inspiration.  I also nearly fell down a rabbit hole:  early color photographs, one formula being doubted and only recently proven correct.  

My life is profoundly sad lately, but some of the rare bright spots come from my students, and sometimes their parents/caregivers.  

No comments: