Friday, October 27, 2017

So the open house went much better than I expected.  I didn't think any parents, guardians, or students would make the trek downstairs.  One of the Photo II students who came to print didn't think I was doing enough to get anyone down there.  I couldn't tell him that I could not leave them in the darkroom printing while I was upstairs directing people.  Luckily there were other students doing that.  It was real quiet for the first half hour.  I had about 6 students printing in the darkroom.  Then the deluge came.  There were tours being given and students brought prospective kids down.  They were led into the darkroom.  Parents reminisced about taking photo in the exact same darkroom when they were in high school.  The eighth graders asked questions.  The adults asked questions.  The kids were so excited to take this class when they get to high school.

The one part that I felt I could not do well in was when one parent with photo knowledge asked about our digital equipment.  He was duly impressed with our Epson printer and agreed with me that a plotter printer was not the best way to go.  But then he asked about cameras.  Well, we only have three Canon T3i cameras.  We have no supplemental lenses. I know damn well that that does not cut it.  I know I will never get the money to upgrade along with the technology at the same pace.  But I would like to have more updated cameras, extra lenses, and flashes for the DSLRs.  Will I get that?  Never.  The whole mindset about digital in a public school is that it is cheaper than film.  I know there are people here who want to get rid of the darkroom because it will save them money.  They are so wrong.  If they do that, I will demand the latest cameras and lenses, filters, flashes, slaves for flashes, etc..  That demand will be due to the fact that we have parents in the district who know what to expect when it comes to digital.  None of those demands will be for my personal gain.  They will be for the students.  So, basically, I could not tell this father that we do not have the latest digital imaging equipment but hey, we have a first rate football team!  I just told him that most of the kids have their own DSLRs at home (a lie).  I don't think he liked the answer, but he liked the darkroom.

So all in all, the open house was a success.  It was like a party.  I actually wish I could have open darkroom sessions for my kids more often.  If the school would pay me, I would be willing to do it once a month.  I say I want to be paid, not because I am money hungry, but because it was exhausting and I need to look out for myself.  I have been taken advantage for too long here.

So I posted online that I had an open darkroom session and a lot of former students wanted to know if they could come print.  Due to liabilities, they cannot.  Then I looked for open darkrooms in North Jersey.  There used to be one in Jersey City - you go and rent the space for hourly sessions and print to your heart's content.  Well, there are no open darkrooms in New Jersey at all.  As a matter of fact, the closest ones are in Brooklyn and that is not worth the hike.  There is a site where you can post your space (public or private darkroom) or post if you are in need of darkroom facilities.  There are three people who posted they want darkroom facilities to use.  There is a need.  Why isn't anyone filling it?

Food for thought.....

No comments: